I am so so excited to post about this project. I actually finished it last year, but I didn't have it framed until March, and I didn't end up posting about because Valentine's Day had already passed. This piece was from a class at a wonderful little wool shop in New Hampshire, called Badger Brook Farm. What was nice about the class was that you could just gather the materials that you wanted to use, and then you just worked the piece however you wanted. I am trying to get out of that approach where I just copy exactly what the designer did, and have that be my project. I often like what the designer created, because that's what drew me to the project, so I have trouble to deviate from that. So this was a good challenge for me!
I started by attaching a piece of wool batting that was very thin to the back. The piece of wool helped to stabilize the antique napkin. I think that the fabric was a napkin, but it is hard to tell, but the fabric is thicker than a handkerchief. Also, I did put a piece of fabric in the bottom left corner because of the eyelets on the fabric, so I did want there to be a background fabric behind it in case it could be seen. I did use pieces of the fabric on the piece also to pull it all together.
Basically, the remainder of the project was using different types of fibers and also little bits that I could use to embellish and decorate. I tried to stay in the color scheme of pinks, mauves, and different shades of white/tan. I am so pleased with how it turned out, and am especially happy with the framing. I had it framed at a local frame shop. I would love to maybe try to complete a similar project like this, but maybe using a different color scheme.