This was such a fun project. Admittedly, it had lingered partially finished in my stash for quite a long time. I do find with my projects, if I get to a point that I am not sure how to do, I come to a bit of a halt, and go to another project. That was what I was feeling with this particular project. I had finished everything up until completing the stems. I wasn't really sure what to do with reading the directions, so I just took a chance, and did it in a way I thought it would work, and it did! I love the way it turned out. I have several different project kits that are for making mats, such as this. After some reflection, I may change these projects a little bit. One thing that I have come to realize is that I don't think my personal style is to use the black wool. I know that this is very traditional, and I do like the way that it looks, but the more that I keep doing wool applique, I realize that I would prefer another background color. I had finished a project last year that I did change the black wool that accompanied the kit. I do wish I had thought of that for this kit. Another situation I would like to think about is that it is hard for me to use these kinds of mats. Why do you ask? KITTIES! My cats (I have two cats), just love wool! I think because of the texture and warmth they are very attracted to it. Also the stems on this particular project would be very appealing! So considering the mats, I would actually probably not want to put them down because of the fur and the chance that kitten claws would snag it. If I had thought of it for this project, I would have changed the orientation of the design, and then make it for a frame.
With the finishing for this project, I did use fusible. I know that there are very strong opinions for not using fusible with wool applique. I do see the points of this, but I am kind of addicted to the fusible! I just love that it creates a nice clean finish. I used fusible for attaching the fabric for the back. Another change from the kit/instructions was that I used variegated Valdani threads from my stash for the stitching (the project came with DMC).
Designer: Lakeview Primitives
Carrots and Parsnips
finished runner size: 25" X 9"